Lanchester motor car 'No 2', 1897.

Exton, David

Lanchester motor car 'No 2', 1897.
3 3 c m
40cm
actual image size: 32cm x 25cm

Description

This highly influential two-seater motor car was built by English automobile pioneer Frederick William Lanchester (1868-1946) in 1897. It is the oldest Lanchester car in existence, was the first 'silent' car, and was probably the first to have a magneto ignition. The engine has two horizontally opposed cylinders that develop eight horse power (hp) when running at 700 revolutions per minute (rpm). The frame of the car is tubular, pivoted about the rear axle and connected with the front axle by cantilever springs.

Image Details

Artist
 
Image Ref.
 
10221315

© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library

buy a print

Select size
 
Select finish
 
How many prints?
 
£20.00
 

buy a framed print

buy a canvas

buy a framed canvas