CG4 magneto, 1922.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This sectioned example of an ML magneto was designed for a four-cylinder petrol engine, and embodies improvements patented by E A Watson and A P McGowran between 1916 and 1921. Although small in size they are very powerful and provide a good spark at low speeds. The machine has a laminated armature which carries the primary and secondary windings and the condenser, and rotates between permanent magnets. Made by the ML Magneto Syndicate Ltd.