Fellows magneto type EM4, 1920.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This is a sectioned magneto of normal type used for igniting the explosive mixture of fuel and air in a four cylinder motor car engine. It is enclosed in a dirt-excluding and waterproof casing, but all the parts subject to wear are easily accesible. It was manufactured by the Fellows Magneto Co Ltd.