Diagrammatic working model. Coloured lithograph printed and published by E S and A Robinson Ltd of Bristol. The diagram represents the petrol motor patented by C Y Knight in 1905 and 1908 and adopted in 1908 by the Daimler Company as their standard engine. The engine differs from ordinary petrol engines in that it has a pair of sliding sleeve valves fitted between the piston and the cylinder wall instead of the more usual mushroom tappet valves. This had the effect of enabling the motor to run silently and also allowed higher speeds to be attained as a consequence of the rapid opening and closing of the valves.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library