Imperial Airways poster, 1936.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Poster produced for Imperial Airways with artwork by Albert Brenet, showing pasengers alighting from a Short L17 'Scylla' biplane. This aeroplane went into service at Imperial Airways in 1934, before being transferred to BOAC (British Overseas Airways Corporation) in 1940. Imperial Airways Limited was formed by the British government on 31 March 1924, after a government report recommended that Britain's interests in commercial air transport would be best served by merging the larger existing aircraft companies. The four companies concerned were Handley Page Transport, the Instone Airline, Daimler Airway and British Marine Air Navigation, all four of which had struggled to operate at a profit.