De Havilland DH89 Dragon Rapide Aircraft, 1944.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This aircraft, registration G-ALXT, serial no 6736 was built by Brush Coachworks Ltd, Loughborough in May 1944. The Rapide entered service with Hillman's Airlines and Railway Air Services in 1934. With two 200 hp engines, it carried eight pasengers at about 210 kph. The biplane wings with simple split flaps allowed short take-offs and landings, appropriate to the small gras airfields of the period. Pictured at the Science Museum's Wroughton airfield, Wiltshire.