Interior view of Radcliffe Observatory, Oxford, 1814.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured print showing the interior of the Radcliffe Observatory, taken from the book 'History of Oxford' by R Ackermann. Titled, 'Astronomical Observatory', the aquatint was engraved by J Black. It shows a selection of the instruments used at the observatory in 1814. These include a reflecting telescope by William Herschel and a pair of refracting telescopes. The Radcliffe Observatory is octagonal in form being modelled on the 'Castle of the Winds' an ancient tower in the Greek capital, Athens.