'View of the Suspension Bridge - Looking towards Beaumaris', c 1828.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
'View of the Suspension Bridge erected over the Menai Strait in North Wales - Looking towards Beaumaris'. Coloured aquatint engraved by R G Revee after G Arnald. The Menai Straits road bridge was designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834) and was built between 1818 and 1826 by Dorman, Long and Co Ltd. The bridge deck was damaged by a gale in 1839 and the deck was replaced in 1893 with a steel one. Major repairs were carried out in 1940. It is near the Britannia tubular railway bridge designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859). Published by W A Provis in 'A historical and descriptive account of the Suspension Bridge over the Menai Strait', London, 1828.