'Chemical Lectures', c 1810.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured satirical etching by Thomas Rowlandson showing Friedrich Christian Accum (1769-1838), lecturing at the Surrey Institution in Blackfriars, London. Accum was appointed chemistry lecturer at the Surrey Institution in 1803. Although only in existence from 1808 to 1823, 'the Surry', as it was called, provided an important forum for the dissemination of scientific, technological and other developments during the early Industrial Revolution.