Four wheeled wagon, 1751.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Model. In 1751 Dr Stephen Demainbray (1710-1782), a science lecturer, sought the approval of the Dublin Society for the design of this larger cart, but it was not granted. He claimed it had the advantages of a four-wheeled vehicle with improved steering and could carry heavy weights. The back of the front section and the front of the back form an arc of the circle whose centre is where the shaft from the back is attached to the front. It is made of holly.