Central forces machine, 1762.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This is the most intricate piece of apparatus that George Adams, of Fleet Street, made for a mechanics lecture course. A strong spring is fastened to each axis above mahogany wheels and the planet-bearing apparatus is attached to this. The turning wheel is mounted similarly using the bras discs and pillars. The horizontal spoked wheel 16 inches in diameter is turned by a steel and mahogany rope. This is the mechanism which provided whirling for a number of experiments, including the measurement of centripetal forces.