Bras stand with two tilting glas flasks, 1761.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This apparatus was used to mix two liquids in a bell jar from which the air had been removed. The small circular plate (inscribed '58) supported a basin to hold the mixture. This apparatus was made by George Adams, of Fleet Street, instrument maker to the king.