'St Andrews', LNER poster, 1941.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Poster produced for London & North Eastern Railway (LNER) to promote rail travel to St Andrews, Fife, 'home of the royal and ancient game' of golf. The poster shows the ruins of St Andrews Castle, which was the main residence of Scotland's leading churchmen, the bishops, and later the Archbishops of St Andrews. There was a castle on this site from the 12th century, but most of the existing ruins date from the 14th century and later. Artwork by Fred Taylor, who exhibited at the Royal Academy and other London galleries, and worked for the Empire Marketing Board, LNER, London Transport and several shipping companies. Dimensions: 1016 mm x 1270 mm.