'The World's Greatest liners use Southampton Docks'. Poster produced for Southern Railways (SR), which owned Southampton Docks and carried out a major programme of investment during the 1920s and 1930s. The Docks were expanded westwards, where land was available, and facilities were greatly improved. Southampton West Station was enlarged to cope with the extra traffic and renamed Southampton Central in 1935. The improvements attracted more shipping. The 'Queen Mary' first arrrived at Southampton from the Clyde on 27 March 1936. Artwork by Leslie Carr, who painted marine subjects and architectural and river scenes. Dimensions: 1016 mm x 1270 mm.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library