'Edinburgh: The Scott Monument', BR poster, c 1950s.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
Poster produced for British Railways (BR) to promote rail travel to Edinburgh. The poster shows a view of the Scott Monument in Prince's Street Gardens. The monument is dedicated to Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832) and was officially inaugurated in August 1846. It is over 200 feet high and was designed and built by George Miekle Kemp. Artwork by Claude Buckle, who originally trained as an architect but turned to fine art in 1928. He painted in both oil and watercolour and was a prolific poster artis for the Great Western Railway (GWR) as well as BR. Much of his original poster artwork is held at the National Railway Museum. Dimensions: 1016 mm x 635 mm.