Wagons full of coal, being put onto ships at Goole docks, 24 April 1911. The coal was used to power the steam ships, and was usually brought to the docks by rail. Goole docks were built in the 1820s for the export of coal, which was brought along the Aire and Calder canal. Export traffic increased with the arrival of the railway and the docks grew rapidly.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved