Horwich works, 1907
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Outside Horwich works, 1907. Horwich works opened in 1886 as the locomotive works for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. This Railway Works mainly built and repaired locomotives, but they also made telegraph and signalling equipment. The works was on an area of land covering 116 acres. The buildings alone covered 22 acres and contained workshops and offices. The railway company also provided accommodation for its workers as well as a church and recreation ground.