Coal was the main fuel source used in power stations at this time. Coal was brought by rail and passed from the wagons into the building through a chute. This power station was built to provide electricity to power the Liverpool to Southport railway line. Electrification of this line was begun in 1904. Electric traction provided faster and more efficient services on this busy line.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved