"View from the forecourt of Manchester Central Station, 29 October 1929. "
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
"The building seen here houses the engineering firms of Henry Simon Ltd and Simon-Carves Ltd. The station was built in 1880, serving Midland Railway lines, but was closed in 1969, when services from this station were rerouted to Manchester Victoria. However, the station was not demolished and is now the G-Mex centre, which holds conferences and exhibitions. It held some events in the 2002 Commonwealth Games."