"Wagons full of coal at Birkenhead Docks, Merseyside, 9 May 1924."
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
"Wagons full of coal from North Staffordshire collieries, waiting to be loaded onto a steam ship. Birkenhead Docks were built in 1847 by the Great Western Railway company and came under the control of the Mersey docks and harbour board 10 years later, due to competition between railway companies to use the docks. The docks served both passengers and cargo."