"Meat hanging in a warehouse where goods were brought and stored before or after their journey by ship. Meat was carried by rail in ventilated containers to keep it fresh. Birkenhead docks were built in 1847 by the Great Western Railway company and came under the control of the Mersey docks and harbour board 10 years later, due to competition between railway companies to use the docks. The docks served both passengers and cargo."
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved