"Goods depot at Birkenhead Docks, Merseyside, c 1924."
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
"Cathcart Street goods depot where freight was loaded and unloaded onto wagons. It was always a hive of activity with vehicles and trolleys moving, and machinery being used. Horses and carts were used to move freight between the warehouses and the wagons. The wagon in the foreground is from a granite quarry in Wales. Birkenhead docks were built in 1847 by the Great Western Railway company and came under the control of the Mersey docks and harbour board 10 years later, due to competition between railway companies to use the docks. The docks served both passengers and cargo."