"Salt paper print by Nicolaas Henneman. Lacock Abbey was the home of William Henry Fox Talbot (1800-1877), and the place where Talbot took his first photograph in 1835, an image of one of the windows. The Talbot museum is now situated at the entrance to the abbey grounds. Henneman was one of Talbot's earliest students; he sometimes re-took Talbot's original photographs when the negative had been damaged. He and Talbot set up the Reading Establishment in 1844, a photographic studio where prints could be mass produced."
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library