"Workers using machinery at the wagon works which was built in 1853 and was owned by the London & North Western Railway. It came under the control of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in 1923. At this time mass production methods had been introduced, as very few wagons had been built during the First World War. Around 4000 wagons were being produced each year, to carry coal, animals or smaller goods."
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved