Panhard Levassor 4 hp motor car, c 1894-1895.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
The light high-speed petrol motor, invented by Daimler in 1889, was first commercially applied to the motor car by the Frenchmen, Rene Panhard and Emile Levassor in 1891. The car has a two-cylinder motor, capable of a top speed of 15.5 miles per hour. This particular model - shown here after conservation in summer 1996, and with the engine cover open - was brought to England by the Hon Evelyn Ellis in 1895, and was presented to the Science Museum by the Royal Automobile Club in 1910.