Of the pre-1923 major companies the locomotives of the Glasgow & South Western Railway were the most obscure. The G&SWR's swansong was the six Robert Whitelegg 4-6-4Ts delivered by the North British Locomotive Company in spring 1922, surely the most magnificent tank engines ever seen in this country. Although the basic livery was lined green, the boiler clothing was blue planished steel, which was quickly exchanged for LMS crimson lake, and ultimately black, before scrapping during 1935-1936 when new boilers would have become due. Here is G&SWR No 541 recorded brand new at Glasgow St Enoch by a 14-year-old Ronald Stephen, who took many evocative photographs of Scottish locomotives (including North British 4-4-2s) in their original (ie pre-1923) liveries at this time.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved