Photograph taken in the 20th century of a horse-drawn dandy cart and chaldron from the Stockton & Darlington Railway, now at the National Railway Museum. The dandy cart was developed by George Stephenson (1781-1848) for use on the Stockton & Darlington Railway, during its early years, when locomotive engines were scarce. The horse would haul a heavy train of wagons up a rise, and once at the summit would be unhitched and placed in a cart of its own, to be transported back again. This allowed the horse a period of rest prior to pulling another train.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved