Printing room at Kinemacolor House, Wardour Street, Soho, London, c 1910s.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Kinemacolor House was the headquarters of the Natural Colour Kinematograph Co Ltd of London, formed in June 1910 by film pioneer Charles Urban (1867-1942). Kinemacolor was developed by George Albert Smith (1864-1959) and Charles Urban and was the first 'natural colour' cinema process. Alternate frames were shot on monochrome film through red and green filters and projected in the same way, giving the illusion of colour.