German State Motor Road, c 1936.
© NMeM / Daily Herald Archive / Science & Society Picture Library
Section of the German State Motor Road on the route connecting Breslau, Leignitz and Krebau. German autobahn construction under Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) commenced in 1933, and by 1936 1000 km had been constructed. By 1942 this had risen to 4000 km, with another 2500 km under construction.