A jar of Homophosphine G synthetic dye manufactured by Farbwerk MUlheim A. Leonhardt & Co, MUlheim-am-Main, Germany. August Leonhardt and Leo Gans set up a dye factory at Fechenheim (near Offenbach) in 1870. After the partnership broke up, Leonhardt established another dye factory in the neighbouring town of MUlheim-am-Main in 1879. It became a limited company as Aktien-Gesellschaft Farbwerk MUhlheim vorm. A. Leonhardt & Cie. in 1895. Part of a collection of late nineteenth and early twentieth century colorants transferred from the Colour Museum, Bradford, in 1985.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library