Section of London-to-Liverpool telegraph cable, 1853.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
British towns and cities began to be linked by telegraph wires from the early 1840s. Most lines were overhead but in a few places were laid underground, such as the London-Liverpool six-wire cable laid in 1853 near Welsh Harp, in north-west London. This specimen of the cable was recovered in 1903.