Charing Cross opened in 1864, as a terminus for the South Eastern Railway. It was thought that a terminus was needed in the West End of London, to serve the South East. 60% of passengers travelling from that area were heading for the West End. The station was designed by John Hawkshaw. It was absorbed into the South Eastern & Chatham Railway in 1899.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved