Passenger train, hauled by a Q7 class 0-8-0 locomotive number 901, on the North York Moors Railway. This locomotive was built at Darlington works, in 1919. The NYMR opened in 1836, between Whitby and Pickering. It was hoped that the railway would boost Whitby's declining economy. The trains were hauled by horses at this time, but steam locomotives took over in 1847. The railway closed in the 1960s, but has been preserved.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved