London families used to go down to Kent to work in the hop fields, picking hops to make beer. Although not exactly a holiday, it made a break from the noise and traffic of the city. Victoria Station opened in 1860, as two separate stations. The stations merged in 1924, and were rebuilt to become one building in the 1980s. Victoria served Brighton and the South Coast, and from 1920 served Dover and connections to France.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved