Passengers at rush hour, Victoria Station, London, 1927.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
Victoria Station opened in 1860, as two separate stations. The stations merged in 1924, and were rebuilt to become one building in the 1980s. Victoria served Brighton and the South Coast, and from 1920 served Dover and connections to France. At this time the station was being used by thousands of commuters every day.