Railway workers inside their canteen or 'bothy' on the Forth Bridge, Fife, by Lynn Patrick, 1997. The Forth Bridge requires continuous maintenance and is covered by 10,000 gallons of paint. The bridge was built across the Firth of Forth, to link North and South Queensferry. Before the railway bridge was built, passengers travelling north from Edinburgh had to take a ferry. The bridge was completed in 1890, having taken 7 years to build.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved