Legs and pier supporting the Forth Bridge, as seen from the railway tracks, by Lynn Patrick, 1997. The Forth Bridge was built across the Firth of Forth, to link North and South Queensferry. Before the railway bridge was built, passengers travelling north from Edinburgh had to take a ferry. The bridge was completed in 1890, having taken 7 years to build.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved