The Forth Railway Bridge, as seen from the top of the bridge, Fife, by Lynn Patrick, 1997. The Forth Bridge was built across the Firth of Forth, to link North and South Queensferry. Before the railway bridge was built, passengers travelling north from Edinburgh had to take a ferry. The bridge was completed in 1890, having taken 7 years to build. In the background is the suspension bridge that carries the A90 road across the Firth.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved