St George's Hall, Bradford, c 1895.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
A photograph of St George's Hall, Bradford, published by Frith and Co, taken in about 1895. Built in 1853, this concert hall was the first major building in Bradford designed by local architects Henry Francis Lockwood (1811-1878) and William Mawson (1828-1889). In 1902 it was briefly converted for use as a cinema. Francis Frith (1822-1898) was a pioneer of travel photography. He was also one of photography's greatest entrepreneurs, founding a company that was to become the largest publisher of photographs in the world. Frith saw himself as a romantic adventurer in the mould of Byron. Between 1856 and 1860 he travelled and photographed extensively in Egypt and the Holy Land. His work was published in a variety of formats and editions and established his reputation as one of the finest travel photographers. However, the venture that brought him great wealth and made him a household name was his comprehensive collection of photographs of British landscapes, towns and cities. His compa