The Wool Exchange, Bradford, c 1895.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
A photograph of the Wool Exchange, Bradford, published by Frith and Co, taken in about 1895. Bradford's Wool Exchange, built in 1864, was designed by local architects Henry Francis Lockwood (1811-1878) and William Mawson (1828-1889). A lavishly decorated Gothic building, the Exchange marked the importance of Bradford's long association with the wool and textile industry. Francis Frith (1822-1898) was a pioneer of travel photography. He was also one of photography's greatest entrepreneurs, founding a company that was to become the largest publisher of photographs in the world. Frith saw himself as a romantic adventurer in the mould of Byron. Between 1856 and 1860 he travelled and photographed extensively in Egypt and the Holy Land. His work was published in a variety of formats and editions and established his reputation as one of the finest travel photographers. However, the venture that brought him great wealth and made him a household name was his comprehensive collection of pho