Electric locomotive at Chelmsford station, 1956
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved
A British Railways electric locomotive standing at Chelmsford station, 1956. The line between Liverpool Street station and Chelmsford was electrified in the early 1950s, and at this time the electrification was being extended to Ipswich. There were plans to electrify many more lines at this time, to create a faster and more efficient service for passengers.