A Dufaycolor colour transparency of barges on the River Thames in front of the Houses of Parliament, taken by an unknown photographer in about 1945. After the partial destruction of the Houses of Parliament by fire in 1834, work began on a new building in 1837. The architect was Sir Charles Barry (1795-1860), assisted by Augustus Welby Pugin (1812-1852). The Dufaycolor process was introduced as cine film in 1932 and as rollfilm for still photography in 1935. Based on Frenchman Louis Dufay's (1874-1936) Dioptichrome process of 1908, it was the last 'additive' colour process to be marketed and consisted of a very fine, regular filter screen made up of red, green and blue lines printed on a film base. Dufaycolor was popular with both amateur and professional photographers and survived until the 1950s.
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library