In 1899, the Oceanic replaced Brunel's 'Great Eastern' as the longest ship then built. She was built by Harland and Wolff at Belfast for the White Star Line to operate on the Liverpool to New York passenger service. The 'Oceanic' was 704 feet long, had a crew of 390 officers and men, and accommodation for 410 first class, 300 second class, and 1000 third class passengers. She was wrecked off the Shetland Isles in 1914 while serving as an armed merchant cruiser.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library