'Osiride Columns of the Memnonium, Thebes', 1859.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
A stereoscopic photograph of Osiride columns at the Ramesseum Temple at Thebes, Egypt, taken in 1859 by Francis Frith (1822-1898). This is one of one hundred stereoscopic photographs taken by Frith for Negretti and Zambra and published in 1862 in a book entitled 'Egypt, Nubia and Ethiopia Illustrated'. Originating during the Middle Kingdom, Osride columns take the form of a statue of the Egyptian god Osiris on the pillar's front surface and are recognisable by the figure's crossed arms. This Temple to the Egyptian god Amon, built by Rameses II [1279-1213 BC], was originally thought to be the 'memnonium' or famous tomb of Osymandyas. It consists of two temples and a palace, running roughly east to west and covering an area of about five hectares.