A photograph of the Palais de Justice, Paris, taken by Edouard-Denis Baldus (1813-1882) in about 1865. To the left, the gothic spires belonging to the Sainte Chapelle are visible. The chapel has been surrounded on one side by the building of extensions to the Palais de Justice over the years. This is one of a series of photographs by Baldus published in an album entitled, 'Vues de Paris en Photographies'. Trained as a painter, Baldus (1813-1882) was accepted into the Paris Salon in 1842. He was a founding member of the Societe Heliographique in 1851and the Societe Francaise de Photographie in 1857. During the 1850s and 1860s Baldus was one of the most prolific of French photographers. He was commissioned by the Comite des Monuments Historiques to photograph historic sites around France and also by Baron Rothschild to record the construction of he Paris-Lyon railway.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library