'Pavillon Richelieu', Paris, c 1865.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
A photograph of the Pavillon Richelieu at the Louvre, Paris, taken by Edouard-Denis Baldus (1813-1882) in about 1865. This photograph shows the nineteenth-century pavilion which is part of the Richelieu Wing at the Louvre museum. This building was home to the French Ministry of Finance until the late 1980s, but has now been converted into galleries. It is named after Cardinal Richelieu (1585-1642), chief minister of King Louis XIII of France. This is one of a series of photographs by Baldus published in an album entitled, 'Vues de Paris en Photographies'. Trained as a painter, Baldus (1813-1882) was accepted into the Paris Salon in 1842. He was a founding member of the Societe Heliographique in 1851and the Societe Francaise de Photographie in 1857. During the 1850s and 1860s Baldus was one of the most prolific of French photographers. He was commissioned by the Comite des Monuments Historiques to photograph historic sites around France and also by Baron Rothschild to record the