A photograph of the Palais de L'Industrie, Paris, taken by Edouard-Denis Baldus (1815-1882) in about 1865. The Palace was built to house the 1855 Paris Exposition, an event announced by Napoleon III to celebrate forty years of peace in Europe since Waterloo. Located between the River Seine and the Champs-Elysees, it was demolished in 1900 to make way for the Grand Palais of the 1900 exposition. This is one of a series of photographs by Baldus published in an album entitled, 'Vues de Paris en Photographies'. Trained as a painter, Baldus (1813-1882) was accepted into the Paris Salon in 1842. He was a founding member of the Societe Heliographique in 1851and the Societe Francaise de Photographie in 1857. During the 1850s and 1860s Baldus was one of the most prolific of French photographers. He was commissioned by the Comite des Monuments Historiques to photograph historic sites around France and also by Baron Rothschild to record the construction of he Paris-Lyon railway.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library