Daguerreotype view of the ruined temple of Jupiter in Pompeii. This daguerreotype, made in 1852, is a copy of a salt print from a calotype negative taken by Reverend George Bridges in 1847. The temple occupies the most dominant position in Pompeii's forum. Dedicated to three divinities, Jupiter, Juno, and Minerva, it was built in the second century BC. A prosperous Roman city on the Bay of Naples, Pompeii was destroyed by an eruption of nearby Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD. Preserved beneath volcanic ash the city was rediscovered in 1748. Between 1846 and 1852 Bridges travelled to Italy, Malta, Sicily, Greece, Egypt and the Holy Land, taking nearly 2,000 photographs.
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library