Daguerreotype view of the ruined temple of Hephaestos or Thesion in the Agora, Athens. This daguerreotype, made in 1852, is a copy of a salt print from a calotype negative taken by Reverend George Bridges in 1847. Theseus's remains were brought to Athens in 475 BC and buried in the south west corner of the Agora or marketplace in Athens. Built between 449 and 440 BC, the temple of Hephaestos or Thesion stands on a small hill at the western end of the Agora. Between 1846 and 1852 Bridges travelled to Italy, Malta, Sicily, Greece, Egypt and the Holy Land, taking nearly 2,000 photographs.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library