The Palm House, Kew Gardens, c 1945.
© National Media Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
A Dufaycolor colour transparency of The Palm House in Kew Gardens, London taken by an unknown photographer in about 1945. This huge 110 metre (363 foot) long greenhouse allows the cultivation of tropical plants from around the world. Designed by Decimus Burton (1800-1881) and Richard Turner (1798-1881) the Palm House was built in the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew between 1844 and 1848. Constructed of wrought iron it has curved glass panels tinted green to provide shade. The Dufaycolor process was introduced as cine film in 1932 and as rollfilm for still photography in 1935. Based on Frenchman Louis Dufay's (1874-1936) Dioptichrome process of 1908, it was the last 'additive' colour process to be marketed.